Most experts now agree that smoking is harmful for health. In fact, smoking can significantly increase your risk of certain types of cancers, such as lung and throat cancer, as well as put you at a higher risk for many other health issues, such as heart disease and emphysema. The good news is that even if you have been a smoker for years, you can reduce the risk of potential health problems by quitting today.
If you are like millions of people across the country trying to quit the smoking habit but have never found great success, the tips below may be able to help. Below is a look at the seven most effective ways to try to quit smoking.
- Behavior Therapy – A trained therapist can help you kick the smoking habit by helping you identify specific triggers in your life and by teaching you effective ways to avoid and overcome these triggers. This approach can take anywhere from several weeks to several years depending on your specific situation, but it can help you overcome the habit once and for all.
- E-Cigarettes – E-cigarettes have been proven to be an effective way for some people to quit smoking. These cigarettes use the same technique as smoking without all the harmful chemicals. This allows you to mimic the sensation of smoking without worrying about the effects on your health. An Ecigarette starter kit provides everything you need to get started.
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy – Some people have also found success with nicotine replacement therapy, such as the use of the nicotine patch or nicotine gum. These products allow you to slowly reduce your nicotine intake to avoid the strong withdrawal symptoms that some people experience when they quit smoking.
- Medication – If you want to request professional help to quit the smoking habit, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor. Your doctor will likely prescribe you a specialized medication, such as Buproprion or Varenicline. These medicines can reduce the effects of withdrawal symptoms and help you overcome that need for nicotine.
- Cold Turkey – While not the easiest method, many people have found great success by simply quitting cold turkey. It is best to set a date and stick to it. Once the date arrives, it is important to throw away all the nicotine products in your home and make an oath to not purchase any more.
- Other Activities – It is important to replace your smoking habit with healthier habits, such as going to the gym, running, and swimming. As you work harder at these new activities, the desire to smoke will be greatly reduced. In addition, this type of healthy lifestyle will help your body better adjust to the withdrawal from nicotine and it will minimize those withdrawal symptoms.
- Support System – The buddy system has also worked very well for many people. This is when you work with someone that is close to you that also wants to quit smoking. You agree to hold each other accountable and to make sure that neither of you pick up the habit again. This method works well because it gives you a great support system with someone who understands what you are going through.
If you are ready to say goodbye to cigarettes forever and hello to a healthier lifestyle, any of these effective methods can help. The most important thing is that you do not give up and that you keep trying until you have finally kicked the habit forever. You will start to feel the healthy benefits of not smoking almost immediately.